About Brighton Gasworks
Brighton Gas Works comprises two hectares of land in East Brighton, at the junction of Marina Way and Roedean Road and behind Brighton Marina. The South Downs can be accessed directly north-east of the site.
The site currently contains two redundant gasholders and supporting gas infrastructure, low rise buildings, and areas for vehicles.
Historically the site contained seven gasholders alongside supporting infrastructure. Gas production ceased in 1860 and thereafter the site was used for gas storage and distribution.
Since 2012 gas has been stored in underground mains and the gasholders are therefore no longer in use. Only a small area of the site is now required for operational use, freeing up the site for redevelopment.
Due to its historic use the site contains of contamination that will be treated as part of the redevelopment of the site to bring it back into beneficial residential and public use, and bringing associated improvements to the environment.
Our proposals and our submitted planning application cover all of the land outlined in red.